The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Poison control

We had our first poison scare, and I hope our last.  Our friends with boys have had many of these, we have been lucky to not have any in our almost 5 years as parents. This all changed today!  While Chris was at burn camp Emma, who is hypersensitive to bees now, spotted some "mean bees" by our back door.  I noticed them as well and realized they were going into the hole where our outdoor speaker cord comes out.  I figured they must have built a nest inside.  I had no idea where Chris keeps the wasp spray so I just kept reassuring Emma when she would worry about the "mean bees" (every day, multiple times a day) that I would have Daddy spray the mean bees and get rid of them.  Emma found this reassuring and began informing me each day what would happen when Daddy got home.  So, Chris came home and did as we asked (Emma demanded) and he sprayed the wasps.  The next day I came home from work and was feeling super tired so I lay on the couch and closed my eyes while the girls played in the backyard and Chris was in our bedroom hanging up his clothes.  I remember hearing the girls laughing and sounding like they were having a blast together. I drifted off to sleep and moments later was quickly awoken by Chris freaking out and yelling.  I couldn't tell why at first.  Then, I stepped out back and realized why.  The girls were covered in wasp spray!  They had been spraying each other with it!  There hair was dripping wet and their hands were covered.  They smelled awful!  I grabbed them both and ran them to the bathtub and started scrubbing.  We weren't sure if they had sprayed their eyes, ingested it, or inhaled it. We had no way of knowing so I just started scrubbing. The girls were acting fine, and only scared because their daddy was so mad.  I got them scrubbed clean and looked on the internet.  Thankfully, it said that a lot has to be ingested or inhaled to cause damage.  I felt confident that they were fine, but it was very concerning at first.  Chris spent about 30 minutes cleaning up all the wasp spray on our back glass door.  He said "we will never have a wasp problem again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment