The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Friday, September 13, 2013

Code Adam

Emma has really given us a run for our money this week!  ER visit and a "Code Adam!".

I hear lots of codes at work.  Code Blue, Code Red, Code Gray, Code Pink......  They all indicate some type of emergency, and I don't like to hear any of them called (especially code blue), but I have become a little used to them.  I learned this weekend that I am NOT used to hearing a Code Adam, and hope to never hear another one again in reference to my child!
We went to Academy to finish buying all of our t-ball equipment.  Chris is coaching Team Thunder this season!  While we were in the aisle deciding what pants and batting helmets to buy Emma kept running over to the next aisle.  She always came right back, until she didn't.  I went after her, expecting her to be on the next aisle.  She wasn't.  I knew she would be on the next aisle (the last one).  She wasn't.  At this point I felt a little concerned and went back to the aisle where Chris and Ryan were to tell him I couldn't find her.  He also became concerned and we split up to look for her.  Chris, being the smarter one in emergencies, went and told the manager that Emma was missing.  Five seconds later the store was on lock down and they were describing Emma on the overhead speakers. "Attention Academy employees and shoppers, we are under a Code Adam.  A two and a half year old little girl is missing.  She has blond hair, blue eyes, is wearing a pink shirt and carrying a stuffed zebra.  My stomach was in knots at this point and I was frantic.  I looked down and realized I was clutching Zeebee.  I, along with all the employees and many customers began searching all over for her.  Chris was made to stay at the front of the store in case anyone tried to leave with a child.  The cops were there too.  I felt so helpless.  She was nowhere to be found.  For some reason I kept going back to the first three aisles near where we had been trying on t-ball stuff.  I had a feeling she was there.  I was praying to God she was.  I looked down the second aisle for the tenth time and saw an employee crouched down holding one of Emma's shoes. My heart stopped and I sprinted towards him.  The employee had found her shoe wedged between two boxes.  She had crawled onto the bottom shelf and was hiding behind a box.  Thank goodness he saw her shoe because there is no telling how long we would have looked for her.  She was well hidden and quiet as a mouse.  Once I got her out, I fell to my knees and started bawling. The cops and the store manager were so kind to us and I have never felt so relieved.  Those 6-10 minutes were the longest of my life!  Emma Reese almost gave her father a heart attack and me a nervous breakdown.  I have always laughed at the people who put their kids on backpack leashes, I no longer will!

No comments:

Post a Comment