The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Saturday, March 3, 2018

Faith In Practice Mission Trip

Another incredible week in Guatemala!  Sometimes I cannot believe the amazing experiences that I get to have in this life.  I am so, so thankful to my job, my parents, my in-laws and Faith in Practice for making this opportunity available to me (and manageable with child care).  I got to return to Antigua just less than a year from my first trip.  This time I knew what to expect and was less anxious about the whole experience. I definitely felt more at home and appreciated it even more. I took a ton of pictures to make sure I don't forget all of the amazing people and experiences. 
Suz and me on the bus headed to Casa de Flores

Jamie, Suz and LuAnn

Dr. Parsley and Dr. Woolf
My cab driver, Paco, on the way back to the airport to get one of the trunks.
It was a little scary since he did not speak English and we had
over an hour and a half drive. We got there and got the busted trunk
that was full of important meds!

So beautiful!

Suz and me at the hotel

Headed to Las Obras for triage!

I helped Dr. Woolf triage the knees.
A few of us used our free day to drive down to Lake Atitlan to ride a boat and visit
some of the villages! we got to explore, shop and even witness a(kinda freaky)
 Catholic ceremony at a home.  It involved a sick baby, lots of candles, chanting and alcohol.
So much beauty
Fancy lunch!



riding in a tuk tuk!









The colored structures are above ground graves.











Our day exploring at the lake while the first round of surgeries were happening was amazing! It was a long, day and we were exhausted when we got back to the hotel.  We all crashed and got ready for our first day treating patients!





This sweet lady was 4'6" and she had the worst knee
 deformities that I had ever seen. I couldn't believe she could walk.
Dr. Woolf gave her a new knee and will be doing
her other knee in April.

Her first walk with her new knee!

Happy Hour at the roof top Sky Bar!

Morning devotional by the fire with Nan and Allie.

Our team
This lady was crying out and thanking God for sending us to help her.


A dentist came with us on the trip and he brought sunglasses
for all of the patients. We also handed out stuffed animals.
They loved both!





And, my favorite part of the trip- visiting the babies and kids.  I spent every spare moment I could holding, feeding and snuggling babies! Some of the same children were there that I had loved on the year before.  That means they had spent a year in the hospital. Most of them would be home with their families had they been born in America.






I was in the middle of my half marathon training so I would go to the gym during lunch and run and lift weights to stay on my training schedule.




What is wrong with this picture?

Problem solved!
The extra toe was removed from both feet.


The patients LOVE the group therapy!



This poor man has been walking on this foot, and working in the fields.

Our fancy team dinner!
Having some fun on one of our last nights!
Saying goodbye to the babies is always the hardest and it rips out my heart.  This year wasn't any easier.  I rocked and sang to and kissed as many as I could. Putting them back into the cribs for the last time and seeing their sweet eyes looking up at me is one of the saddest experiences I have ever had. 





At the end of our last day I was walking in one of the open areas getting some sunshine and fresh air when I realized there were a lot of babies and children in one corner.  They all appeared to be waiting in line.  I saw mothers with their disabled children strapped to their backs with blankets.  Who knows how far these women walked with their children on their backs. Some of these kids looked to be teenagers, and not light. I I started looking around and realized there were all different ages and disabilities.  I figured out that they were all here waiting to see a doctor.  I learned later that most of these parents had traveled for miles, carrying their children (because they cannot afford a wheelchair) just to get food to feed them. I started to wonder if any of these kids had been in the hospital when I was there last, I knew a lot of the kids had been hospitalized for malnutrition and many other disabilities.  I turned a corner and locked eyes with Dennis!!!!!!!!!!  I could not believe it!  Dennis was the tiny baby who had Zika that I held and fed last year. I had asked about him this year and no one could tell me what happened to him.  I didn't know if he had passed away or what had become of him.  So, when I saw him I lost it! I ran over and tried to explain to his mom (in my broken Spanish) that I knew Dennis.  I could tell she was surprised when I said his name.  I pulled out my phone and showed her the picture of me feeding him in the hospital the year before.  A nurse helped me translate a few things and then we both wept.  She let me hold him and I got to take another picture with him.  He had grown so much and was home with his family.  It was a surreal moment and I could not believe the coincidence that I happened to run into them.  I still get goose bumps when I think about it. I also saw a little girl named Rosalinda that also touched my heart! It was incredible!
Rosalinda, 2017
She had been in the hospital for over a year because
she needed a special diet and her family could not afford it.

Rosalinda, 2018
She has put on a bunch of weight and is
home with her family!!!!


Dennis, 2017
In ICU and isolation 
Dennis, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment