The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Faith in Practice Mission Trip 2019

I was fortunate enough to get to go on my third mission trip to Guatemala with Faith in Practice.  It was another incredible week with a fantastic team serving and caring for the beautiful people of Guatemala.  I took a ton of pics!

Suz and I at the airport.

Erin and Suz and I on the bus in Guatemala City

Heading out on the mile walk to the hospital with a suitcase
full of hats to gift the patients with!

Suz is the BEST nurse and room mate.  Love her!

Triaging with Ortho Trauma Dr. Jack Dawson.
He works at Ben Taub in Houston and is an amazing trauma surgeon.
I loved being back on trauma!

Some pre-op x-rays.
Incredible that this poor man was walking on this leg.

Went straight to my babies the first chance I had!


Suz and Erin took me to Frida's for lunch!

This sign in the restaurant mde me laugh.
Guatemalans hate Trump, as they should.

Little did we know that this coronarita was going to make us both sick.
Every year something gets me!

Fuego

Post sunrise workout.
I got up every morning at 5 to work out with Debbie Woolf.

Gorgeous garden

So sick!
Thankfully, I took meds right away and was much better after 12 hours.

Outing to Hobbitville for lunch.




Toughest patients.

Yennifer! She has been here every year I come.
I love to see her smile but hate that she is still here.

This little guy loved peek-a-boo!

Those eyes.

We rocked and rocked!

Morning view of our casita.


Group therapy.

This patient gifted me a purse.

Young mother of 3 had to have her leg amputated,
but was still smiling and thankful we could help her.

Some amazing post-op x-rays of Dr. Dawson's work.




So many laughs with these two girls.

Watching Dr. Dawson work.


Suz and I with Aaron Boudreaux

Three amigas!

Boudreaux rocking a baby.
I took him to see the babies and he lost it.
He has two little girls at home, so this was tough on his daddy heart.

This ex-fix was impressive!
We used wine corks to cover up the sharp metal!

He was so tough!
He wrote me a 4 page prayer in spanish.

More group therapy.

Group picture.

This lady almost died on the operating table, and was very
touch and go in recovery too.
2 days later she walked out of the hospital. Smiling.

Suz recovered her so she was so happy yo see her doing well.

DeeDee Woolf!

Pre-op x-rays of messed up humerus

Post-op after ORIF

Beautiful Hotel Santo Domingo for team celebration dinner.

Cheers!

My girls!

PT Team

Lunch time bubbly at Tartines on last day.
Beautiful view of the Mayan ruins.

So much fun with these people!

In the square at the bear exhibit.
There was a bear representing each country. So cool!

Adjusting crutches.

Pack mule!

Playing some hoops.
The patients loved watching us and cheering us on.





HOME!
I took the earliest flight home this year, so I got up at 3:00 a.m. to go too airport.
I enjoyed a nap with Polly as soon as I got home!



No comments:

Post a Comment