The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Mamaw's first 5K (and she got the silver!)

I have found another reason to admire my mom! The list goes on and on! She completed her first 5K, after only taking up running less than 5 months ago. After I was so sick in February, I had no endurance and I downloaded a running app on my IPhone called Couch to 10K to get back into running. Mom had just gotten an IPhone and she downloaded the app too. I thought for sure she would only do it for a few weeks and then throw in the towel when the runs got longer. Boy, was I wrong! She stuck to it, and unlike me, she did all of her runs outside in this brutal heat! She decided she wanted to try a 5K so we signed up for a small, local race. It was so much fun and she did awesome! She got second place in her age group! She is amazing. It was such a fun time and I can't wait to do another one with her! Here is the sweet message she sent me afterwards.
"You were my inspiration for running. Just a few months ago you were so sick, yet as soon as the doctor released you (most likely before) you started working to get your healthy body back. I figured if you could do the Couch to 10K app, I would try. You are my hero how you fought to come back and be 100 % for your kids and family. I was so pumped to run with you today! I couldn't be more proud that we both came in 2nd in our age groups! Love you and am so thankful for you! Love, Mom"

KC the morning before the race
Nice legs!

Warming up

Love her.

After I finished I ran back and ran the last leg with Mom.

She was looking strong and smiling. She never walked.

Almost there!

Whoo hoo!

Getting her free massage afterwards.

What a great memory!

SECOND place!

I finished second in my age group, too! Haha!

The girls greeted us at home.

Ry loved the medal.




No comments:

Post a Comment