The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Terrific, Trying, Tremendous, Tantrum Filled, Thoughtful, Talented, Tender, Treasured, and don't forget Terrible

TWO's!!!!!

That is where we are. Ryan is the most fun that she has ever been, and she is also the most challenging. Bad kid, no. Strong willed, yes. Can it be exhausting?- YES! Do I love her any less?- NO! Will we survive? Hopefully!
The "Master Manipulator", as my sweet mother in law (Peg), so perfectly described this age. "Just like you were" as my sweet mother describes this stage. (I guess that should make me feel "better", or maybe it should make me apologize to my mom, I dunno.) I do know that I pray that my mom doesn't get to use that line during Ryan's teenage years. I think there is no avoiding it.
This weekend we saw multiple meltdown tantrums and it wasn't cute, or fun, or quick. I think Ryan averaged about 35-40 minutes on each one. Listening to an exorcism, while dodging her flailing arms and legs and also attempting to protect her from a head injury for one minute is exhausting. Needless to say, Chris and I are wore out! And very confused on what to do to minimize these incidents. She is very smart and understands a lot, way beyond her age, but she is only two. She cannot rationalize and it is very hard to effectively redirect, reason with and calm her down when she is acting belligerent. It is also very hard to understand when she throws a fit for no reason. Internal frustration, I guess. Ultimately it is because she does not get her way in some form or another. Lately getting dressed has been a battle. I try to let her pick out her outfit so that she feels that she has some control. Often she replies "no" to every option that I give her, so eventually I pick an outfit and then I have to fight her to get dressed. I was celebrating a few nights ago because she quit fighting us about wearing her winter pajamas. I guess I traded that battle for this one. Sigh. She starts school Friday, please let me figure this one out before then! If not, we will both be in tears when I drop her off. I guess that may help me be able to leave her there. :-)
We are currently experimenting with time outs and different forms of discipline to see what works. I am also about to hit the books! I swore by Baby Wise when Ryan and Emma were first born and I am going to read Child Wise by the same authors to get some guidance on disciplining. Thankfully, Chris and I totally agree and support each other in this journey. Our main goal is to be consistent and fair. Sometimes the easy thing is to give into her, but that is not what is right. That is not the lesson I want her to learn. We have to be strong and not give into her and teach her what right and wrong behavior is now. It is going to be work. Sweet Ryan is worth all of this. No one said parenting is easy. And what is easy is not always right. I keep telling myself that......


Sweet girl threw a fit and fell off the counter onto her nose.
Very sad.
(for once it was under Chris' supervision and not mine!

I had to mention that)

She got a pretty bad bruise.




We love her so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment