The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Barf-o-rama!

I had to title my post with the "cute" slogan that Kristi text to me last Wednesday evening. I had text her that night about how Emma puked at the restaurant and her response was "get ready for Barf-o-rama!" No way, I thought/hoped/prayed)! Emma just choked on a cookie or piece of pizza. She is fine. It is NOT a stomach bug. No way. Not happening. Just because Ashlyn had barfed one evening and a few days later her Daddy experienced barf-o-rama all night did not mean it would happen to us. We already had that happen last year (around this time of year!). It can't happen two years in a row? Right?........Boy, was I wrong!

Of course, it did not happen until Friday night (C shift) at 11 p.m. I had just turned off the light at 10:30 and was barely asleep when I heard Ryan whimpering from her room. Sometimes she wakes up in the night and cannot locate Bunny or Paci and will fuss for a few minutes until she has them. We just ignore her cries and she goes back to sleep. Every now and then when her search rescue fails we will have to go in and recover Paci from in between her wall and the bed. So, when I heard her crying Friday night I rolled over and expected to be back to sleep in a minute or so. Then I heard Ryan saying "I need my Mommy. I want Mommy." Well, that is not the norm in the night. Bunny is usually who she is calling for. I decided to go check on her and make sure she was alright. I opened her door and the stench hit me. Vomit. So gross. And so powerful. I quickly turned on the light and saw the mess. It was EVERYWHERE! All over the BGB (both upper and lower decks), the floor, 6 stuffed animals, her hair, her clothes, the sheets, 3 pillows, the bedspread. And, worst of all- Bunny! He had it the worst, because when I walked in she was using him as her catch rag. I didn't know where to start. I just started stripping sheets and piling up the loads of laundry that were about to commence. Poor Ry kept saying "Messth, I made a messth. Does your tummy hurt?" I finally made my way to her and removed bunny from her barf covered death grip. I knew he needed to make it into the first load of laundry if I planned on getting any sleep. After I got Load #1 in I got Ryan into the tub and washed her hair. She was not happy about it at all. After she was clean we grabbed the IPad and sat on the laundry room floor watching Disney trailers and checking on bunny as he cycled through the washer. She was fussy and wanting me to hold her and then not wanting me to touch her. Poor girl felt lousy. I moved her into the living room to lay on the couch and that is when Barf-o-rama Round 2 started. I won't go into all the details because I am sure I have shared enough, but I will sum it up real quick. We had 7 rounds, I stripped 2 beds, I did 5 loads of laundry, bunny went through wash 2 times, all between 11 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. Chris arrived home from work at 7:30a.m.- go figure! I had to call in sick to work because I wasn't sure if I was the next victim. I had basically been covered with vomit all night. I figured it was only a matter of time before Round 8 started on me. I also had only slept a total of 2 hours (not consecutive). So, after calling in sick (which I rarely ever do), I resumed the laundry duties and got all the beds remade. I was so tired that I felt wired, and then the next thing I knew, Chris had to leave to work the Rangers game. I was on my own again. Exhausted and very cautious of my gut. Thankfully, I survived! It was a very long day and the girls bedtime could not come fast enough. We all slept in until 10 a.m. Sunday morning!!!! We slept so late we missed church! That never happens, but I think we needed it.
Quick update, since I wrote this blog during the weekend and a few more of us have felt the effects. Mamaw and I ended up with a kinder version of the bug. Mamaw threw up multiple times Sunday but is back to herself today. I felt terrible Sunday night but made it through work Monday and I also feel great today. Pa has felt a little nauseous today and Chris says his "guts have been messed up all day" today. I think tomorrow we will all be back to normal. Don't jinx us Kristi! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment