The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Saturday, October 22, 2011

What an accomplishment!

And, to top it off, I had a great time AND I think I will get invited back ;-)

Chris and I completed our 27 mile backpacking/camping trip in less than 48 hours! I cannot believe we did it - well, I cannot believe I did it! Chris is a pro. It was one of the most physically and mentally challenging things I have completed in my lifetime. I had no idea that my body was capable of what I made it do! We hiked 27 grueling miles, up 7 mountains and across 30+ creeks. I fell in 3! One fall was really bad! On the first day, 2 miles in, I slipped on a rock while trying to corss a stream and fell forward. I got soaked up to my elbows and my knees. Thankfully, I kept my pack dry! Chris would have had a rough night because his sleeping bag was in my pack. My feet were swimming in water the next 5 miles! I persevered! I ended up with wet shoes every day, but the first fall was the worst and the only time I got wet anywhere else besides my feet. My balance isn't as good as I thought it was. Hopping from one slippery rock to the next with a 30 pound pack on your back is not easy. I must do more yoga!

We arrived at Ouachita National Forest in Arkansas at 2:00 in the afternoon and headed out at 2:15. We went a little bit in the wrong direction and didn't actually get going "clockwise" until 2:45. We ended up doing 7.5 miles the first day from 2:15 to 6:15. We found a place to camp, set up our tent and cooked our dinner. I was beat! I was having trouble imagining doing it again the next day. My back and legs were already so sore and my knees were bruised from my fall in the creek. It felt great to take my wet shoes off and sit by the fire. Chris is an expert. He taught me how to do everything! It was so cool to be 100% self sufficient. After we ate our chili mac we laid down in our tent at 7:30 to read. By 8:00 we were both ready to sleep. It got down to 28 degrees that first night and I think the most I slept was in 1 hour intervals. It was not comfortable at all! I did stay warm, poor Chris had the lighter sleeping bag and he got cold. On Friday we got up made a warm breakfast (and coffee for me), packed up and headed out. We covered 12.5 miles, including 5 back to back hills. After the 5 hills, we ate lunch and took a 30 minute cat nap leaning against a tree. Then we refilled our water supply from the stream and headed out for our last 6 miles of the day. We were whooped and went to bed at 7 p.m.! Saturday morning we woke up at 5:30 and finished our last 6.5 miles strong!

What a trip! Murph also loved every second of it. He preferred to be right in the middle. Whoever was leading the way he wanted to be right on their heels and in front of the second person. He never needed a leash. He was meant to hike and it was so fun to have him along with us.
We missed our girls but really enjoyed the time we had together. We got to talk a lot and enjoy nature together. I fell in love with Chris even more! It is pretty cool to have a manly man for a husband who knows how to do so much outdoors. He took great care of me and made sure I learned a lot and enjoyed myself. (He tried not to laugh too hard when I fell in the creeks! I laughed too.) And, thank goodness he got me those hiking poles and head lamp. They were both a necessity! I think this may be an annual thing we do together. We crossed paths with the cutest family. A dad, mom and their three daughters (ages 9, 11 and 13). The three girls were all carrying their own packs. It was so cute! We both agreed that we are taking the girls as soon as they are old enough. I think we have found a new family hobby!

Before:


On our way!


Happy to be headed to the woods!



Murph smiling.



After:



This is headed home!



Both boys were tired.



Very tired!



Map of our route, all 27 miles!



This map shows the diffenent altitudes of our route.



As you can see, the middle was brutal!



Almost to the parking area.



Chris, about to add 46 pounds to his back!



Looking like I know what I am getting into.

(I had no idea!)



Murph, mentally preparing



Chris filtering water for us to drink



My boys!




Chris setting up our tent.



Our camping area the first night



SO pretty!



Murph was made for this!



Beautiful sunrise!



LOVE




Chris did so much!







My handsome husband!



My shoes and socks drying out by the fire.



Even though I look rough, I love this picture!

Love the guy on my left!



Chris boiling water for our dinner.



Head lamps were a must!



Murph was scared of the fire- he hid in the rain cover of the tent!



No showers, so we just reapplied deoderant



Thank goodness for baby wipes!







Murph followed right on my heels!



One foot in front of the other



Never ending hills!




Nice view
(I am gasping for air in the far right corner!)



This rock was so cool!



My favorite picture. So beautiful and calm.





Pretty sure I got at least one wet shoe here.



View from the top of our last hill we climbed.








About to knock out our last 2 miles!



I DID IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment