The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Bedtime Preciousness

Every third night I put the kids to bed by myself.  Those nights can be hectic since we have yet to combine the girls bedtime routines.  They brush teeth and take their vitamins together and then Ryan "helps" me put Emma to bed.  We sit in Emma's room and read a few books on the floor and then Ryan helps me sing to Emma. We usually sing Twinkle Twinkle, Wheels on the Bus, Jesus Loves Me and You are my Sunshine. Some nights she is super sweet about it and pats and kisses her, and Emma eats it up.  Other nights she is not so sweet and becomes a disruption instead of helpful.  After a few songs I leave Emma in her room, doors locked.  She sometimes says "nite nite Mommy" and I never hear a peep and sometimes she will cry out for me for a bit and then she settles. Every once in while she gets up and checks the door to make sure it is locked. Then, I read Ryan 2-3 books in her bed and we say the pledge of allegiance, say prayers and sing the Marine Corp hymn.  Then, she asks for milk and for her IPod to be turned on.  Usually, that is the end of it.  After a promise to leave her door open and to check on her she lets me leave and falls asleep pretty quick. Then, before I get in bed I unlock Emma's door and cover her up.  It is clockwork every C shift, usually the whole process of bedtime takes about 25-30 minutes.  I try to start at 7:45 and be done by 8:15.

On nights when Chris is home we each take a kid. It goes a lot quicker when we are putting them down simultaneously.  Lately, Chris takes Emma and I take Ryan.  The only difference is that Chris lays with Emma and sings 3-4 princess songs.  They have an order of songs and Emma asks for them by name. ("Ariel", "Snow White", "Belle"....)  There is really nothing sweeter then hearing your husband sing the princess songs (word for word) to your baby.  Emma loves it, I love it (when I can hear it through the door).  When he is done with Emma I am usually done with Ryan's routine and she asks for her dad.  Chris comes in and Ryan and him sing Hermie The Worm (a camp song that he has taught her).  Then, he usually starts her music and grabs her milk.  That's the routine.  I wanted to write it down so I would remember it.  Precious moments with our precious girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment