The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Monday, September 6, 2010

Ivie "Natural" Disaster

Last Wednesday night we had a storm come through. We were all tucked away asleep when I woke up to the dogs barking around 2 a.m. Chris got up and let them out and I could tell that it was raining. We went back to sleep and were suddenly awoken by the loudest noise I have ever heard around 3 a.m.! I swear I felt our house shake. I shot up in bed and asked Chris "what the heck was that???" My first thought was an earthquake! Ha! Chris being a sounder sleeper ("it's a gift" - in reference to being able to sleep through Ryan's cries as a newborn) did not seem alarmed or concerned that our house may have just moved from the foundation. He simply replied that he thought it must have been thunder. I waited for Ryan to cry out or the dogs to bark, but heard nothing. Then I began to think that maybe I was exaggerating what I thought I heard, and it actually was just thunder. I lay back down and listened for another 15 minutes to make sure Ryan didn't make a sound. I eventually fell back asleep until my alarm went off. I stumbled out of bed and went to let the dogs outside. I noticed it was still raining and turned the back porch light on to see how hard it was falling. That is when I saw it- A GIGANTIC TREE on the ground! I ran out into the rain to get a better look and saw that the fence was down and that the tree was through our roof. It only took me a second to realize that the tree had fallen on top of Ryan's room. I ran back into the house holding my breath with my heart pounding in my chest. Was Ry okay? Had the tree come all of the way through the roof and landed on her crib? Why didn't she cry out? I opened her bedroom door and the baby was sleeping soundly, thankfully with no tree branches on top of her. She is a heavy sleeper like her daddy. I then woke up Chris with a few "I told you so's!" Chris worked hard all day in the rain to pull as much of the tree out of the roof and get a tarp up to reduce the amount of water damage to our attic. We were both so grateful that Ryan was okay. We are still waiting to hear the final verdict from our insurance. Apparently even though our neighbor was negligent and did not cut down their dead rotten tree, it may be our insurance's responsibility to fix it. Ugh! Below are some pictures that Chris took after he pulled most of the tree out of the roof.

Thank God our baby girl is okay!


This tree is HUGE!


Chris couldn't get some of the branches out of the roof











No comments:

Post a Comment