The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Unexpected Surprise



I was supposed to start my period while on vacation. I was NOT disappointed that it didn't come. I just assumed it would come on our way home. Then, it didn't. I was positive it would come the first night we were home. Then, it didn't. I felt crampy and bloated so I knew it was coming.... And, then it didn't. I found an old pregnancy test under my sink and decided I would take it to confirm that my period was moments away from starting. And that is when this happened.

8/16/14


I couldn't believe it. It was a faint line, but it was there. So, I immediately assumed it may be another miscarriage. I felt like I was about to start my period. I hadn't remembered ever feeling like this before. I did remember feeling nauseated twice in Galveston. Hmmmmmm....... I hesitated and almost didn't call Chris. I figured I would wait a few days and see what happened. But, I started to freak out and had to tell someone so I called him at work and told him. He was as shocked as me. We both agreed to remain calm (as best we could) and try to remain cautiously optimistic.  Ryan was playing in her room quietly during all of this and she came into my room with one of her baby dolls. Out of the blue she said "I had a baby mommy. I pushed her out and her name is Polly". It was so bizarre! I had never heard her say anything like that! And, Polly is the name that we had decided 2 years ago that we would name a third daughter if we ever had one. Ryan was not in on that info. It felt like a sign from God brought to me by my precious 5 year old.

8/17/14

I wanted more confirmation, so I bought another test. I knew if things were really happening that the line should be darker by the next day.  I took a test and got this.


A dark positive!  I couldn't believe it.  Is this really happening?  We had finally agreed that we were done, and were not going to try for another kid.  We had not made anything final, but after the marathon training and starting new hobby/jobs we were content.  This was such a surprise! We had to take our traditional family pregnancy picture.




8/18/14

I had to work so I went and got lab work done. I was feeling a dull achy feeling that me uneasy all day at work. I got a call from my doctors nurse that my HCG was 93.5 indicating an early pregnancy and that my progesterone was 32.84, which is very good.  I was told to repeat blood work in 48 hours to make sure that my HCG is doubling.  So, now we wait 2 days for those results.  Still nervous, but cautiously optimistic.  I have told my mom, so I know that she is praying for me. 

8/20/14

Got second round of blood work done. Ryan rode the train with me into Parkland. We got a call back from the nurse a few hours later that my HCG went up to 219! She said that was great because it more than doubled. They don't even want to do anymore lab work because it increased so well in 48 hours. I am so happy! I am still aware that things can go wrong, but so happy for another good sign. 




Picture of my belly before it starts growing.


8/23/14

Extreme fatigue has started to set in, especially in the evenings.  I am also noticing a midsection pudge forming already.  Pants are a tiny bit snug, feeling very bloated!  Feeling good and still running and going to Camp Gladiator work outs.  I am hoping that I can continue running, CG and yoga throughout this pregnancy. I am excited to start prenatal yoga in a few weeks  I was able to beg my doctor for another round of blood work.  She said it was unnecessary because my numbers look good and doubled, but she would order it for my piece of mind.  I am going to wait until next week to get it done.  I am scheduled for a sonogram to attempt to hear a heartbeat on next Tuesday.  I cannot wait for that!

8/26/14

decided to get my repeat lab work done today since I was working at Parkland and my patient load allowed me the time to go get it. I was pretty anxious awaiting the results and it seemed to take longer than normal to get the phone call. Then, at lunch I got an email that my results were in and that I could access them from MyChart. I knew this must be good because I assumed the nurse would call me if there was a concern. The fact that the doctor released them to me without explanation made me feel confident that they were okay. It took me forever to get a good signal on my phone to log into MyChart! Finally I got in and was so excited to see my Beta HCG was 2913!!!! That means my numbers have been more than doubling each 48 hours since last Wednesday. What a relief! This means baby is growing. I cannot wait to hear that heartbeat in one week. :-)

8/27/14

Hello nausea........

My book club figured it out tonight. Thankfully, there were only 5 girls besides myself at book club, so not all 15 know. And, besides Kellie, the girls I work with weren't there, so secrets still safe from work.

8/30/14
I'm growing, pants are already getting snug.






8/28
Ryan and I doing some relaxing yoga before bed time. Legs up the wall felt so good!




9/2/14

First sono! We saw the heartbeat! A tiny flicker, but a wonderful sign!





9/7/14

I feel awful! I have had a head cold the past few days and my ALL DAY nausea is worse than ever.  Add to that the all day fatigue and I am barely making it.  I know these are good signs that baby is growing, but I forgot how miserable this can be!

9/9/14

All day nausea is killing me. I am barely surviving work days and am worthless in the evenings. When I am asleep is the only time I don't feel terrible. Chris is having to do everything at home. I am scared that I am going to feel this bad for weeks. I go to doctor tomorrow for second sonogram and am going to beg for some anti nausea meds. I had to tell work today, people were starting to think I had a stomach bug!




9/10/14

I had a second sono today. Baby looked great! Still looks like a jellybean but it had grown exactly as it should and I got to hear the precious heart beat which the doctor described as "very strong" and 154 bpm. My BP was high (again) 142/92, so I imagine I will be on BP meds soon. Seems that each pregnancy I get gestational hypertension a little sooner. I am glad there are medications to control it but I also know the meds make me feel sluggish. Oh well, better than having dangerously high BP. I also got a prescription for antinausea meds to help with my all day morning sickness. The doctor was pleased so I am too. Next sonogram in 2 weeks our little raspberry will have visible head, arms and legs. I can't wait! Keep growing little bean.



We made the announcement official on FB, so I can now publish this post.  I will post updates as they occur now.  Secrets out!

No comments:

Post a Comment