The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Ryan's first trip to the dentist!

We finally bit the bullet and took Ry to the dentist. We did not elect to have dental coverage for her this year because I really think it is a rip off to pay each month! It ends up being cheaper (but not cheap) to just pay out of pocket to take her for the annual cleaning. Which, when you are almost 2.5 years old, consists of them brushing your teeth and a fluoride rinse. Really not that imperative, if you ask me. My parents said they didn't take me to the dentist until I was four. I have only had one cavity my whole life and it occurred when I was 29! So, I kind of think this idea of kids needing to go to a dentist at two (or even at the age of ONE, according to our friends pediatrician) is a money making scheme. Anyhow, I was feeling like a bad parent, and since I am not the most consistent teeth brusher, I made the appointment. Ischeduled it and prayed that we wouldn't discover that Ryan has a mouth full of cavities! Chris ended up taking her, which turned out to be an awesome decision. Apparently, the kid dentist likes firemen (or likes to save firemen money, at least!). We were prepared to pay $150, but barely had a bill at all. Thank you Arlington FD t-shirt! Ryan did well at the dentist and came home with a new toothbrush and a t-shirt. The dentist said that Ryan has beautiful teeth and there are no problems. The piece of mind was worth it, especially at the discounted price! We will see him again in a year and continue brushing daily (I am gonna get more consistent to ensure next years visit also goes well). Here are her mug shots from the dentist. Her Daddy's IPhone made the short wait more fun!











1 comment:

  1. That's good. Brush daily, and try to add flossing into the equation. It does wonders by removing those hard to reach stuff that the toothbrush can remove. It's a habit that can be hard to get into, but it's very beneficial.

    Diana Dickert

    ReplyDelete