The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Dual Nap!

Emma taking her morning nap



Today was day number three, so I don't think it is a fluke! I have finally mastered the dual nap. It only took 12 weeks, considering almost 3 of those weeks were in Parkland Hospital, I am proud. I love the awake time I get with my girls, don't get me wrong, but I sure can get a lot done in the 2 hours that they are snoozing! It is wonderful.


We recently have started transitioning Ryan to one really long nap (3 hours), instead of two long naps (2 hours each). She still has no problem taking two naps, but since she has started sleeping in until 9 and sometimes 10 a.m. we can't really put her down for a morning nap. So, we have started giving her lunch and then putting her down. So far so good.


Little Emma also sleeps in until 9:30ish ( I know- we are VERY lucky!). She eats at 10, and plays until 11 and then she is ready for a solid 2-2.5 hour nap. So, the past 3 days I have gotten them both down I have maximized this time.


Since I am back working part time, I have to be productive around the house so things don't pile up. This is one of the great things about working part time. I remember when I went back to work full time after having Ryan I felt like I never had enough time in the evenings. I was busy getting everything ready for Ryan the next day that I never felt like I had time to do chores or work out. I also felt guilty if I wasn't spending quality time with Ryan when I was cleaning or preparing for the next day. So, sometimes I would wait until after I put her down to get ready for the next day. It was exhausting and a lot of the time all the housework had to be done on the weekends. YUCK!


Working part time allows me not to stress about getting ready for the next day. I know that I will have a day off mid week, sometimes two in a row! I was off Wednesday and Thursday this week. It was heavenly! (It's like having a Friday on Tuesday and then another one on the true Friday.) So, that is why I don't have to stress after a work day. I can do it the next day and I won't fall behind.


That is also why the dual nap is an added bonus. I love the hour or so I get alone with Ryan when Emma is sleeping and I also love the hour or so I get alone with Emma before Ryan wakes up. But the 1.5-2 hours that they are both asleep I check some boxes on my "To Do" list. Today I was able to knock out some laundry, unload the dishwasher, spend an hour on the treadmill, set out dinner, clean my breast pump and organize the freezers full of breast milk. I felt very productive. It feels great to get the chores done so when the girls are awake all we have to do is play!

No comments:

Post a Comment