The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Night Away and Surgery Scheduled

Here are a few pics of the girls that were taken by Chris and Papa's phones while I was gone.

Poor, sick Ryan snoozing in our bed.

Chris said she snored like a man!

Emma Reese Feeling better (and cooler)
So strong!
Unfortunately, I have no pictures from my first night away from Emma. It is not that I didn't take any. I am pretty sure I took over a hundred. Sadly, we no longer own a point and shoot camera. Yep- I lost it. Although there is no photographic proof, I had a great time in Austin with my best friends! It was a quick trip- I left Friday at 1:30 in the afternoon and got back home Saturday around 2:30 in the afternoon. It was my first night away from Emma and it was also Chris' first night at home with both girls. From experience (every third night when it's a C shift) I can say that bedtime with two is a little tricky. I have gotten a good routine down, but the first time I had to do it alone I was terrified. So, I was a little concerned for Chris. Also, the overnight can be rough if my worst nightmare happens- both kids wake up at the same time. This has only happened 3 times in the 2.5 months I have been a parent of two. Although that seems like a pretty good track record, all 3 times were a C shift. Go figure. This past Thursday night (the night before my girls night in Austin) was the third time it happened. Go figure. Usually Ryan only wakes up if she is sick. Guess what- poor girl has another ear infection. She started running 102 fever Wednesday evening and then woke up in pain that night. I survived that Thursday night and ended up letting Ryan sleep with me from 4-7 a.m (the only "sleep" I really got that night). I was totally exhausted and not thrilled about leaving town with a sick kid at home, but I decided I would stick with my plan and go to Austin. I knew Chris was just as capable as I was at caring for a sick baby. I fed Emma and hit the road just as Chris loaded the kids up to head to the pediatrician. The doctor confirmed what we knew. Her right ear was bad. We are pretty sure that her 5th ear infection, that she got a month ago, has never been cleared. Ryan has basically been sick with an ear infection that she can't shake, despite multiple antibiotics, for the past month.

So, to make a long story short Chris started Ryan on another round of antibiotics Friday evening and all three survived the night. Emma slept like a champ 10-7, but poor Ryan woke up hurting and ended up in bed with Chris again at 4 a.m. Somehow he got her to sleep until 9:30! He was even able to wake up at 7 a.m. to sneak out of the room and give Emma a bottle, put her back down, and crawl back into bed with Ryan. So, he also got to sleep in. Way to go Chris! AND way to go girls! I may get a girls night out again! Maybe before they start school!?!?!

One more piece of news. We have decided to go ahead and get Ryan tubes in her ears. We saw an ENT a couple weeks ago and had been debating whether or not we wanted to have the procedure done. After this last bout of fever, sore ears, a few sleepless nights and Ryan just not herself we have decided that it is in Ryan's best interest to go ahead and get the tubes. She has not been 100% in over a month and has been uncomfortable too often. We are ready for her not to hurt and to not be on antibiotics. From what the ENT has told us, painful ear infections should be a thing of the past after this 15 minute procedure. May 2 is the date. Hard to imagine saying bye to little Ry when they take her to the OR. Or to imagine her getting sweet Munch getting an IV (my dad is horrified about this). But we know it is what is best for her. It would be a lot worse for her to have to keep suffering through ear infections and possibly end up with hearing loss. We are all so happy and relieved that we have a plan in place and that hopefully Ryan is on her last dose of antibiotics for awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment