The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

Bunny

Replacement bunny is always left out

Bunny

20 months old



As you all know Ryan's prized possession is her bunny. Bunny was a gift from my close family friends the Frink family to Ryan when she was born. The bunny was so soft and sweet and even had "Ryan Layne" embroidered on it. So sweet. Little did we know at the time what a huge part of our lives this little lovey bunny would be! Ryan's love for bunny seems to grow stronger everyday and lately she has barely set him down. We had made some serious progress during Ryan's 18th month to wean Ryan from bunny. Chris had started making Ryan leave her bunny and paci in her crib for nap and night time only. Paci seemed easy to part with, leaving bunny alone in the crib was a bit tougher. Ryan managed, and only asked for him when she was upset or sleepy. That was until she got this latest double ear infection. Poor girl has not been herself for weeks now and is on her second round of antibiotics because that right ear had gotten worse. Needless to say, we let her have whatever she wanted those few days where she was in a lot of pain, including bunny and paci all day. And now we are back to where we started (maybe worse). Maybe it is because she isn't 100% healthy, or maybe it is because old habits revisited die hard. Either way, bunny and paci are in her line of vision, if not in her mouth and hand at all times these days!



Just when poor bunny was getting some much needed R&R! Poor guy looks like he is 20 years old, not 20 months! And honestly the first 5 months of Ryan's life he didn't get that much abuse, he mostly laid in her crib. Once she was sitting, and then got mobile, is when his life expectancy drastically decreased. Bunny used to be utilized for sweet snuggles at bedtime. He was pretty easy to keep clean. He went into the washing machine about once a week and stayed pretty fresh. Bunny now makes trips to the park, down the slide, through the dirt. He is used by Ryan to clean the floor, wipe her hands and snotty nose, carry leaves and weeds. He is pulled by his ears, wrapped around her neck like a shawl, thrown across the room in a tantrum (only to quickly be retrieved), stuffed in the training potty (yet to be used, thank goodness). If it was up to Ryan he would sit on her highchair during meals and join her in the tub! We put our foot down and deny her bunny during meals and baths. Or we attempt to! Mamaw saved bunny from a near drowning in the bath tonight! This is also why we are guaranteed at least 3 (4 on bath nights) power struggles a day. Sometimes having bunny "watch and wait for Ryan to eat/bathe" works, other times it is a knock down drag out. One time I actually considered putting him in the tub with her! She puts up a good fight!



Although bunny could use a daily bath these days, getting him a weekly one is also another fun battle. I used to be able to get him washed and dried in between naps without Ryan even noticing. Not lately! I have tried a few techniques to get bunny clean. I failed both times. One attempt was distraction. While Ryan was swinging in her swing out front with Aunt Krishia and Mom I switched out her bunny with the replacement bunny we ordered. I ran bunny to the washer and started it quickly. When Ryan was done swinging she asked for bunny who had been waiting for her on the ground (in a pile of dirt, I am sure). She picked up the clean, soft impostor and threw him aside instantly and began asking for HER (dingy, stinky, ratty) bunny. That day bunny made it to the spin cycle before she won. He was soaking wet but she didn't care. The latest attempt at getting bunny a bath was a success, but it was a painful win. This time I decided I wouldn't be sneaky. I would explain to Ryan that bunny needed a bath and I would have her help me put him in the washing machine. I had to pry him from her grasp and dodge her flailing arms, but I got him into the washer. Then after she rolled around the floor kicking and wailing for bunny we opened and closed (and stopped) the washer at least 20 times to check on him. Every time I would shut the washer door Ryan would say "see again, again, again", until we opened and paused the cycle, drawing out what should have been a 25 minute cycle to a 35 minute cycle! I ended up distracting her outside with a walk so that the process could move forward. She surprised me and seemed to temporarily forget that bunny was taking a bath. She even let the impostor bunny join her! She actually drug him through the dirt a couple of times. Maybe there is hope that we would survive if (God forbid) we lost bunny! We walked around the neighborhood and visited the neighbors. (Ryan loves to say "hi neighbors" to everyone and they love to hear it!) When we made it back to our house I was able to I sneak in at one point and get bunny into the dryer. I was then able to somehow keep her busy (sidewalk chalk and bubbles) until he was 75% dry! Success! Not sure what I would have done if sweet Emma hadn't been such an angel sleeping in the stroller during this whole ordeal! Bunny's bath required ALL of my strength and attention dedicated to distracting and entertaining Ryan to complete. And after it was completed she decided to take both bunnies out into the yard and rub them in dirt. I give up! He was clean for FIVE minutes!



So, I will not be offended when people look at poor bunny with disgust. I will not be embarrassed when my child's lovey is mistaken for a dog toy or dish rag. (Both have happened). Bunny is loved, and bunny is hers. I try and try to keep him clean, but I cannot compete with Ryan. He gives her comfort, and she is the one who likes to nuzzle him at night to drift off to sleep. If he stinks I guess she doesn't mind! I will continue to attempt a weekly bath for bunny, and am open to any suggestions on how to accomplish this feat without Ryan or I in tears.






Can you even imagine what he will look like by the time she is 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment