The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mommy Update

I am happy to report that I am finally feeling good! I am still weak and out of shape, but I am finally not in pain all of the time. First time in over a month! I went to the doctor this past Wednesday and got my sutures out. I was still very tender on the right side of the incision when I went to the appointment. Once the sutures came out the tenderness was less. Dr. Rosenbaum was pleased with the way I had healed, but she reminded me that I still need to take it easy. She told me to not pick up Ryan for 2 more weeks. (Easy for her to say! Not so easy for me when Ryan says "Mommy, hold you" reaching up for me.) She also told me that I could start walking for exercise! So, of course, I have been on the treadmill or outside walking everyday since. I am so out of shape and so anxious to start getting back in shape. I had Emma 6 weeks ago, I should be running by now! At least I was 6 weeks after Ryan was born. This infection and hospitalization has really set me back.
I am glad that I am feeling good enough to enjoy my girls and get out and do things. When I first came home from the hospital I had zero energy and felt like my maternity leave was being wasted away. Thankfully, because I was so sick and had two additional surgeries, I also gained more paid time off. That is a definite plus! I will get to enjoy my kids at home (while getting disability money) for 3 additional weeks.
I have had so much help from my family these past few weeks at home. I couldn't have rested and healed without all of the help. My mom has been spending the night with me when Chris has been at work so that I wouldn't have to lift Ryan in and out of her crib. I spent my first night at home alone with the two kids Friday night. That is 6 weeks that I did not have to attempt a night alone. We all three survived. My biggest fear happened (of course). Ryan woke up at 2 a.m. crying and would not go back to sleep. Then, Emma woke up at 3 a.m. to eat. So, at one point both kids were crying in unison. Somehow I was not! I had told myself before my Aunt Mis left that night that the worst thing that could happen is the three of us are awake and crying until 7:15 a.m. when Chris gets home. We would survive, and the sun would still come up! Thankfully the dual cry fest only lasted a few minutes. I nursed Emma and Ryan cried herself back to sleep. At 3:30 I got to crawl back into bed and sleep until 7. It wasn't that bad. (I am sure I will have worse nights!)
I want to say thank you one last time for ALL of the thoughtful cards, phone calls, emails, texts and visits from family and friends checking on me. I haven't been the best about returning calls or emails. I rarely have any time to do anything for me! A shower before dark is a luxury these days! We are so lucky to have such a great support system. These past 6 weeks have been tough on our family and we have been through a lot. I think all of the bad is finally behind us. Emma being sick and in the NICU was definitely the worst experience. She is a healthy, happy growing girl! I couldn't ask for more! This is all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment