The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Paci Fairy Success


Paci Fairy
She came!  Finally! We had been preparing Ryan for months to expect a visit from the Paci Fairy on her third birthday.  She could rehearse exactly what was to happen with a smile on her face. "The Paci Fairy is gonna come take my paci away because I'm not a baby and big girls don't use paci's."  This gave me some hope that I would someday be able to forgive myself for this horrible act.  Maybe she wouldn't be as upset as we anticipated.  So, her third birthday came on a Saturday and Chris and I decided that the next day Paci Fairy would come.  I had anxiety about the party and the fairy all week. Sunday morning I dreaded.  We had some company so we decided to wait until after they left to start the process.  Then, Ryan got sick. She started running a fever, coughing and acting horrible.  This was about the same time that we learned the Paci Fairy's flight had been delayed (thanks Chris!).  We rationalized that we needed to wait until she felt her best and we also thought we would have more success if we waited until we had a few days to be home with with her and enforce the new rules.  Mamaw and Pa are not good at being the bad guy, nor should they have to.  So, we had an agreement. Friday was to be the day! Mamaw was heading out of town for California Saturday and Chris and I were gonna be home with the girls the whole next week.  It would be the perfect time we decided.  
Friday rolled around and Ryan was feeling better.  Chris and I were both off of work and we were ready to do the deed.  Here is how it all went down.
We tied Ryan's paci to three pink helium balloons.
We told her that we were sending the Paci Fairy her paci to give to
the brand new babies.



We told her that her paci was going to baby Paxton, our newest baby friend.

Bunny was right with her throughout the whole ordeal.

"Bye paci!"
And she let it go!


We watched until we couldn't see the pink balloons anymore.


No tears
(except if you count mine)


Waving bye to paci!

Our big, brave girl.


Ryan reminding us that Bunny will ALWAYS
 be with her and help her.


15 minutes later reality started to set in.

She had a few rough moments during the evening but was able to calm herself down when we reminded her how big she was.

Bedtime without paci

Look what the Paci Fairy left under her pillow!

A Brave toy for our brave girl!

Ryan ended up going to bed great that first night.  Shockingly so!  But, at 2:30 a.m. she woke up in a panic looking for her paci.  Chris brought her in with us because she was inconsolable. It was so sad.  She was begging me "Mommy, may I please have my paci?" through tears.  She was so genuine and using good manners.  It broke my heart to tell her no.  Chris ended up turning on a Mickey and I went to the guest bedroom (I had to wake up in a few hours to go to work).  Chris and Ryan were both asleep when I left for work. I learned later in the day that they were up until 5 a.m.! Ryan slept in until after 10 a.m. and Chris was a zombie all day.  We thought we were going to have to give up sleep for awhile.  I volunteered to be on duty the next night since Chris would have to go to work the next morning.  Ryan did AWESOME!!!!!  She never cried for her paci and she only woke up once asking for a chockey and a water and she went right back to sleep.  We are SO proud of her!  And, she seems to be very proud of herself too!  She woke up again last night asking for chockey and water so now we are considering a mini fridge in her room.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment