The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The not so funny wagon story

I love my girls to the moon and back and wouldn't change a thing about either one of them. Now that that is out there (like y'all didn't realize that!), I will get on to the story. This is not a "good" memory for the books, but it is life, and it is real. I appreciate when people talk about the moments that aren't the best, those are what make up life. Yes, the good stories are good, but if you leave out all of the bad and or trying times, how boring. The bad moments usually make the funniest memories and they are what shape us and make us stronger. So, although I mostly use this blog to chronicle how wonderful and amazing my girls are (bragger), I also want to include the stories that humble me. And because I am raising two daughters, who I am confident will one day also become mothers, I want this blog to not just be happy, but also honest. So, when they are having "moments" with their two year-olds they will remember these stories and smile and know that I (and they) survived the same moments. So, little Miss Ryan Layne, I will one day remind you of this incident (when your two year old humiliates you) and then I will most likely say to you "she is just like you."


I had been at work all day and knew that the minute I got home I was going to load up the wagon and take the girls to the park. The weather was in the 80's and I had been breathing Parkland Hospital air all day. I needed some fresh air, and I knew the park would be fun for all. Chris had been home all day and needed to run to the store so I headed out with the girls alone. The wagon ride to the park was completely uneventful, although a little stressful crossing Fielder Road at rush hour. It started out great. I pushed the girls on the swings for awhile. Then, Ryan wanted to climb and slide and got frustrated when I couldn't join her because I was chasing after Emma. So, when Chris stopped by to say hi on his way home from the park I convinced him to take Emma home with him to cook dinner while I got some jungle gym/slide time with Ry. And that is exactly what we did. We had a blast and Ryan kept saying "Mommy, play too" (music to my ears). It was getting close to dinner time so I told Ryan she had five more minutes and then we needed to head home for dinner. She said "no home" (which is the norm) and ran to slide again. Five more minutes went by and I hunted down the wagon (I had let 3 kids take turns pushing and riding in it). Once I got the kids emptied out of the wagon (this was not an easy task, apparently many kids say no!), I went to grab Ryan. This was the beginning of the nightmare. She was not going in the wagon without a fight. What a scene, and boy is she getting strong. I felt like I was wrestling a strong, slippery snake or fish. She would go limp and then arch her back, all the while screaming bloody murder like I was abducting her. And from the looks of some of the parents I am still grateful that APD did not arrive. I finally got her strapped in and began pulling the wagon towards home. The screaming escalated, and of course, a pee wee football league was practicing near by so I had a huge audience. I looked back to make sure that Ryan hadn't gotten loose and saw the trail behind us. Bunny, paci, both her shoes, all 3 of Emma's teething toys, her hair clip, her sippy cup, my IPhone, the house keys were covering the street. She had thrown every item out of the wagon and was trying very hard to throw herself out. So, after I collected all of our items I attempted to walk home again (holding all of the items in one hand while pulling the wagon with the other). I had to pass the same parents again. I finally made it to the big light at Fielder that always makes me nervous to cross with the kids (even when they are happy and confined in a stroller). It was almost 6 p.m. so there was still quite a bit of traffic. At this point, Ryan almost had one leg out of the safety belt and I knew that I had to hurry or she was gonna be loose. It felt like an eternity to get a signal to cross. Finally we did, and halfway across the crosswalk Ryan wiggled her legs loose and nearly did a header onto the street. I had to drop everything in my hands to get a hold of her to keep her from getting hurt and to make sure she didn't run into traffic. I strapped her back in as quick as I could and started loading all of the items back into the wagon. This is right about the time that the light is changing and I am officially blocking traffic. I had one hand on Ryan's chest holding her down as I tried to pull the wagon out of the street. Meanwhile Ryan is tossing her shoes and dolls out again. I made it to the sidewalk and cars were honking at me pointing to Ryan's shoes and toys laying out in the middle of the road. I was over it. I didn't care what I left in the road I was not going back to get it (thankfully bunny had not been sacrificed). I had to get the heck away from that road before Ryan, or I, threw myself in front of traffic. We finally made it home (minus a shoe, 3 toys, a hair clip and a paci) and I let Chris take over from there. I sat on the front porch completely defeated, exhausted, infuriated and embarrassed. How could such an adorable, sweet, smart little girl make me that mad. Looking back now I know that she was sick and didn't feel well. Can I attribute it all to that? No. She is stubborn and strong willed when she is healthy, too. She is just like me. Just ask my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment