The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Friday, May 4, 2012

Paci Regression

Sunglasses = Cool.  Pacifiers at 2.9 years old = Not Cool.
We had made some huge gains with the pacifier about 6 months ago.  Ryan was only using it for nap time and bedtime. She was not allowed to have it any other time of day.  She would toss it in her bed in the mornings when she climbed out of bed. Even at school she would put it in her back pack without hesitation before walking in (bunny too!). I was preparing myself to get rid of the thing all together.  (Sometimes I think I am as attached as she is).  We (me) always had an extra paci in the car in case we (I) became desperate.  Unfortunately, we (I) kept it where Ryan could see it in the door by her seat. So, on occasions she would ask for it in the car.  Depending on my day, the traffic, and the desire for peace and quiet I would sometimes let her have it.  About 4 months ago Ryan was sick and very fragile and I gave into her and let her have her paci on the couch while watching cartoons.  Pa and Mamaw also let her have it at their house and I think even Chris gave in a few times during that week she felt so bad. Boy, did we open up a can of worms!  Although we still did not (and still do not) let her have it in public and she doesn't have it at school, we have gotten pretty lax about it at home.  I am so disappointed in us!  I had set two goals for myself when Ryan turned two.  I wanted to have her potty trained and paci free by three.  She was phenomenally easy to potty train at a little over two years and I had almost broken her of the paci pretty pain free as well.  It almost feels like we are starting over now.  And, she is smarter and more manipulative this time!  Chris and I have decided that this time paci will be gone for good, cold turkey!  No paci for naps or bedtime.  No paci period.  We plan to start this fun experience in June, when school is out. I am already dreading it.  We have started the conversation about how the Pacifier Fairy is going to come soon to take all the pacis away from the big girls to give to the tiny new babies.  Ry is very good and stating verbatim what is going to happen with the whole process.  I hope it goes as calmly as she describes it. And, if you see her at her third birthday party with a paci in her mouth blame the chic below!

No comments:

Post a Comment