The Ivie Family Blog

The Ivie Family Blog

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Current sleeping routines and new habits

We have always been proud of our good sleepers. Our girls still sleep like champs all night (12 hours for Ryan and 13 for Emma).  They also still nap hard too.  Emma just recently dropped her morning nap and now takes one long afternoon nap, like Ryan.  Our girls usually nap simultaneously from 1-4 p.m..  It is my most productive and or relaxing time of the day!  Besides Emma dropping her morning nap not much has changed with her sleeping habits.  She still needs Zeebee and paci to sleep and she still likes to throw all her blankets and toys out of her crib.  If she ever does wake up at night it is usually for a few moments and she puts herself back to sleep.  The rare occasion that we have to go into her room at night it is usually to return her discarded paci. Now, Ryan on the other hand, has added some interesting stall tactics and requests at bedtime (and beyond).  A few Saturdays ago when Pa babysat Ryan out of the blue asked for him to leave her bedroom door open.  He did and we closed it when we got home.   At night we have always slept with all the bedroom doors closed.  It allows us to not worry about waking up the kids while we watch t.v. or talk after they are asleep.  I don't use monitors but I still hear my kids when they need me. Dad reminded me that Ryan has been watching a lot of Cinderella lately, and the part where she gets locked in her room is very concerning to Ry.  Well, now Ryan insists every night that her door be left open.  She has quite a few requests after we finish reading her three books.  Here is the normal order of requests:  "Turn my purple light on", "I want my music on", "Leave my door open".  There are also a few statements that she likes to throw out there, such as: "Mommy, I am thirsty", "I am so sick. I need to take my temperature". Lately our bedtime routine seems neverending.  And, the door open request has put a damper on our evening relaxation.  We have tried on multiple occasions to close her door after we think she is asleep.  She must have it rigged though because like clockwork within 5 minutes she is calling out to us to open it.  So, a lot of nights we leave it open.  We learned the hard way that if she wakes up at 3 a.m. and checks that door and we have even slightly closed it we are going to hear all about it.  High maintenance Munch.

No comments:

Post a Comment